Energize and satisfy your sweet tooth with this ultimate summery, refreshing take on an Italian dessert classic - the affogato. Quality of ingredients is important. Here, we have good espresso and homemade vegan ice cream sumptuously teaming up for this irresistible bowl of goodness.
Makes: 1.5 to 2 quarts of ice cream
Ingredients:1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 24 hours, drained
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1.5 tablespoons vanilla bean extract or 1.5 vanilla bean pods, scraped
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 - 2 shots of espresso (we recommend washed Ethiopian)
1/2 - 3/4 cup blueberry “compote”
For the “compote":
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
juice from 1/4 lemon
2 tablespoons honey, optional (we used Pollinator Project Honey)
A pinch of salt for pizzazz
Directions for the compote:
Mix ingredients in a small pot and simmer on medium-low heat until the blueberries have broken down and the mixture has reduced to around 1/2 cup. Let the mixture cool for 20 minutes before mixing in to the ice cream base.
Directions for the ice cream:
- Add all ingredients except for the compote to a blender (we used the Nutramilk), and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, stir in blueberry compote and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- Prep ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the mixture has frozen and the machine turns off, add contents into a freezer safe container with a lid to harden for 2 hours.
- Scoop and serve with fresh espresso shots on top. Top with crushed cashews, a dollop of non-dairy whip, your favorite cookie for some fun—and share. Bonus points if you eat it with a cupping spoon!